Preparing for the Future of the Planet
The impact of climate change is unprecedented. Businesses and communities face internal and external pressures to address global warming, take proactive steps to manage the increased risks, as well as take advantage of the unique opportunities it brings.
Our climate resilience practice combines decades of knowledge and expertise in a variety of fields, including land use planning, construction, stormwater management, government affairs, environmental, real estate, economic development, compliance, finance and business law, to help clients develop comprehensive strategies to prepare for and manage the risks and impacts of climate change.
Brooks Pierce’s experience includes working with the United States Department of Defense Readiness and Environmental Protection Integration Program (REPI), which focuses on climate change issues that limit or restrict military training, testing and operations. Our attorneys are also actively involved in the Southeast Regional Partnership for Planning and Sustainability, which brings together state and federal agencies from six Southeastern states to focus on environmental sustainability initiatives. We have also worked with a number of municipalities, businesses and non-governmental organizations on related issues.
Brooks Pierce attorneys are equipped to help businesses and communities with climate-related issues including:
- Assessing risks related to climate change and extreme weather
- Identifying ways to make facilities more climate resilient, both new construction and retrofitting existing facilities
- Advocating for state and local regulations that promote and facilitate the adoption and use of climate-resilient practices
- Assisting clients with compliance issues related to local, state and federal climate change/climate resiliency law and policy
- Identifying and helping to secure potential sources of financing for climate resiliency projects
- Contracting related to climate resiliency projects
- Due diligence in corporate transactions
- Proactive land use, environmental permitting and regulatory compliance