Brooks Pierce attorneys wrote dozens of articles throughout 2020 to help our clients prepare for and respond to a myriad of unforeseen issues due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the tumultuous election cycle and other challenges that arose during the year. We aimed to provide our clients with guidance on how to manage workers during a pandemic, how to navigate the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and other federal stimulus programs, and strategies for protecting their business during a time of uncertainty.
These articles proved valuable to our clients and many other businesses, with Brooks Pierce seeing a significant increase in website traffic as so many organizations and individuals turned to us for insight and answers. Here are the most popular articles written by Brooks Pierce in 2020:
1) Guide to the COVID-19 Paycheck Protection Program and Loan Forgiveness, written by Steve LaSota and Sue Young, March 27, 2020
This article provides information on the PPP loans, including information on how businesses can obtain a loan, what businesses are eligible and how a PPP loan might impact taxes.
2) COVID-19 Checklist for North Carolina Employers, written by Bill Cary and Natalie Sanders, May 5, 2020
This article provides an easy-to-follow checklist for employers to make sure they are in compliance with state and federal employment laws as they relate to the COVID-19 pandemic as well as provides guidance on returning employees safely to work.
3) Guidance for Employers with Salaried Employees in Response to COVID-19, written by Bill Cary and Beth Langley, March 23, 2020
This article highlights the legal requirements for salaried employees in North Carolina and how changes to labor laws during the COVID-19 pandemic , focusing on the legal requirements of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
4) NC Governor Cooper Expands Unemployment Benefits to Workers Affected by COVID-19, written by James Bobbitt and Tricia Goodson, March 18, 2020
This article explains the expanded criteria for unemployment benefits in the wake of COVID-19.
5) Returning Employees to Work in a COVID-19 World, written by Natalie Sanders and Jessi Thaller-Moran, May 4, 2020
This article outlines the three most important factors to evaluate when returning employees to work during the coronavirus pandemic, including updating workplace policies and complying with new COVID-19 laws.