Bob King has more than 30 years of experience in a variety of litigation matters and environmental law, and has been widely recognized as a leading litigator and trusted advisor by his clients and peers. Bob also serves as the firm's General Counsel.
For over thirty years, Bob has practiced a mixture of litigation and environmental law. Specific information as to each area can be found by clicking on their respective tab above.
Bob has been honored by election as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Bob serves as Brooks Pierce’s General Counsel and previously served as the Chair of the Firm’s Associates Committee.
Extensive community involvement includes serving as an Elder at Fellowship Presbyterian Church and serving multiple terms as the Chair and President of the Presbyterian Counseling Center, in addition to service on other boards and direct volunteer work.
Since 1987, Bob has been married to Julie Davis (Duke (BA 1982); Wake Forest (JD 1986)). Julie and Bob are blessed with children who, coincidentally, are two of the best people who have ever existed: Rhyne (Duke (BA 2014); currently PhD candidate at the University of Chicago) and Grace (UNCA BS 2017; WCU BSN 2020), who works as an emergency room nurse.
Bob has extensive litigation experience- including numerous trials- in federal court, state Superior Court, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings. Areas of substantial experience include corporate/shareholder disputes, wrongful death actions (representing both plaintiffs and defendants), enforcement of restrictive covenants, toxic tort, employment disputes, breach of contract actions, and eminent domain. Bob serves as outside counsel for major insurance marketing organizations, one of the oldest furniture companies in North Carolina, one of the state’s major mining companies, a large transportation and logistics company, and the only RCRA (TSD) operator in the Triad.
Notable cases and experiences (with some examples linked) include the following:
- Representation of the defendants in the leading toxic tort case under North Carolina law.
- Enforcement of various restrictive covenants.
- Representation of both corporations and minority shareholders in a broad array of shareholders disputes.
- Significant awards from juries in eminent domain proceedings.
- Defense of employers in Title VII and other employment matters, including matters in which the opposing party was ordered to pay the client's attorney's fees.
- Representation of school systems in disputes over the funding of charter schools, participation in a regional school, and regarding the disposition of red light camera fines.
- Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in various class actions.
- Prosecution of claims for wrongful termination of distribution agreements.
- Representations of local governmental bodies in myriad disputes.
- Work for both plaintiffs and defendants in wrongful death and catastrophic injury actions, including claims arising out of mass traffic collisions and homicides.
- Both the prosecution and defense of actions involving intellectual property rights.
- Representation of two defendants in the Duke Lacrosse scandal and litigation.
- Defense of corporations in product liability and breach of warranty actions.
- Representation of landowners in zoning and other land use matters.
- Representation of companies and governmental bodies in Superfund and other hazardous waste sites.
- Defense of actions asserting claims of child molestation.
- Disputes over insurance coverage.
- Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in premises liability claims.
Bob has represented businesses, individuals, and governmental bodies throughout the United States in a broad variety of environmental matters, including Superfund and other inactive hazardous waste sites, RCRA, UST, toxic tort, groundwater contamination, and Clean Air Act matters.
Unlike most environmental law practitioners, Bob has extensive experience litigating environmental disputes, appearing in state and federal court as well as in administrative proceedings.
Bob also regularly advises both buyers and sellers regarding how environmental conditions and laws affect the use and value of property.
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation for Appellate, Environmental (2020-2021), General Commercial (2019-2021)
Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Environmental Law (2007-2020)
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation and Environmental Law (2007-2021)
Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina’s "Legal Elite" in Environmental Law (2006-2008, 2013-2014) and Litigation (2012-2014)
Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Environmental Law (2008-2021)
Recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition for Environmental Law (2015)
Past Member, North Carolina State Committee, American College of Trial Lawyers
Past Member, Trial Lawyer's Legal Ethics and Professionalism Committee, American College of Trial Lawyers
Past Director, Greensboro Bar Association
Past Member, Board of Directors, Greensboro Historical Museum
Former Trustee, Greensboro Natural Science Center
Former Member, Environmental Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association
Former Member, Appellate Rules Committee, North Carolina Bar Association
Former Chair and Board Member, Presbyterian Counseling Center